Samsung sued over a woman’s Galaxy Note 9 allegedly caught fire at New York

Galaxy Note 9 sued

Galaxy Note 9 sued

Samsung sued over a woman’s Galaxy Note 9 allegedly caught fire at New York

Just when you think the Galaxy line is finally shaking off the ashes from their previous battery failures on the Galaxy Note 7, a new lawsuit is filed in the US against the Korean smartphone giant’s latest flagship for catching on fire inside a woman’s purse.

Real estate agent Diane Chung says in her lawsuit she was using the new handset on Sept. 3 when it suddenly became “extremely hot,” the New York Post reported Saturday. Chung stopped using the phone and placed it in her purse but soon heard “a whistling and screeching sound, and she noticed thick smoke” pouring from her purse, the newspaper says the lawsuit alleges.

Chung says in her lawsuit, which is filed to the Queens Supreme Court, that she removed the phone by emptying her purse onto an elevator floor, but the fire didn’t stop until a passerby picked up the handset with a cloth and placed it into a bucket of water, the newspaper reports.

The incident alleged in Chung’s lawsuit is reminiscent of the Galaxy Note 7 nightmare Samsung experienced two years ago. In 2016, the Korean electronics giant discontinued the device after a battery flaw caused dozens of the phones to explode or burst into flames.

In this case, however, is still an isolated one. Considering that the phablet is released almost over a month already, it is likely this is not as widespread as the Note 7 mess.

Previously, in an interview concerning Galaxy Note 9’s humongous battery’s safety, Samsung is confident they have one of the most stringent standards when it comes to producing batteries for their smartphones, thus assuring their customers similar failure will not happen again on the Note 9.

“The battery in the Galaxy Note 9 is safer than ever,” DJ Koh, head of Samsung’s mobile business, said last month, according to The Investor. “Users do not have to worry about the batteries anymore.”

“Samsung takes customer safety very seriously and we stand behind the quality of the millions of Galaxy devices in use in the United States,” Samsung said in a statement. “We have not received any reports of similar incidents involving a Galaxy Note 9 device and we are investigating the matter.”

SOURCE

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here